Are Veneers Permanent?
Dental veneers are a revolution in cosmetic dentistry. Your teeth will quickly look as white, straight, and unblemished as you want.
Are veneers permanent? Yes, porcelain veneers are professionally bonded to your teeth. They’ll be a part of your new smile for many years.
Since they stay on 24/7, you won’t even think about them as you eat, brush your teeth, and flash your beautiful smile for the camera.
Since veneers are permanent, you may be wondering:
- How are veneers placed that make them permanent?
- Will they ruin your teeth?
- Are they removable?
- How long do they last?
We answer those very questions in this blog post.
Let’s get started.
How are porcelain veneers applied?
The dental veneers process is pain-free and easy. After we discuss your goals and make an individualized plan for you, we’ll proceed with these steps:
- Cleaning: We’ll make your teeth squeaky clean, keeping them strong and healthy. This will also help the veneers bond to them.
- Impressions: We take clean, digital impressions of your tooth or teeth.
- Tooth Prep: We make room for veneers on the front of each affected tooth by removing a small amount of material.
- Veneer Crafting: Our lab creates custom veneers for each tooth, making them the right color, shape, and length.
- Placement: In your next appointment, we’ll bond each veneer to the front of a prepared tooth.
At Homestead Dental, we love feedback! Tell us how your new smile looks, and we’ll keep working at it until it looks perfect.
Do porcelain veneers ruin your teeth?
During the preparation for veneers, your teeth have to be slightly changed. But that is not the same as ruining them.
Let’s think about what “ruining” would mean. We’re trained to keep your natural teeth healthy for life. Ruining teeth would go against our philosophy.
This is what we do to prepare teeth for veneers:
- Check them thoroughly for decay.
- Clean them.
- Remove just a thin layer of enamel—only where the veneer will be.
Enamel is only one of the layers of material a tooth has, and we only take off a small amount.
The end result can even protect your teeth! A new layer of tough porcelain will cover the front, visible part of those teeth, resisting stains and keeping bacteria away.
Plus, the dental bonding cement we use is completely safe and non-toxic.
Are porcelain veneers removable?
Once we bond our dental veneers to your teeth, they are designed to stay in place. They practically become part of your teeth.
You can’t pop out veneers like removable dentures or retainers.
This permanent bond will give you these advantages:
- Convenience: No special handling is required. You’ll just brush and floss your teeth like you always have, almost forgetting the veneers are there.
- Aesthetics: Your smile should always look terrific! Your dentist carefully places veneers in the absolute most optimal position. If you were to remove veneers and put them back in, they wouldn’t look as good.
- Protection: It might also protect you from embarrassment. Your teeth can’t fall out at a social event, for example.
The preparation process is irreversible because we’ll slightly change your teeth.
But either Dr. Cote or Dr. Schope will be happy to listen to you and advise you on the best solution for improving your smile before choosing a treatment.
How often do veneers have to be replaced?
Great-looking porcelain always wears out eventually. You can expect 10–20 years with each porcelain veneer.
Keep your teeth and veneers looking great for closer to 20 years with these tips:
- Floss every day
- Avoid tobacco
- Limit foods and drinks that stain teeth
- Use a toothbrush with soft bristles
- Use non-abrasive toothpaste
- Don’t open packages with your teeth
- Wear a mouthguard if you grind your teeth or play sports
- Get regular dental cleanings and checkups—every six months
Get porcelain veneers in Centennial, CO
Our dentists in Centennial, CO are experienced with porcelain veneers, and we care about each patient as an individual
If you want your smile to look like a million bucks, contact Homestead Dental for a cosmetic dentistry appointment now.
- Email us at email@example.com
Homestead Dental is conveniently located in Centennial, CO…Open a new window to Google Maps…, and proudly serves our surrounding communities, including Highlands Ranch, Englewood, Lone Tree, Greenwood Village, and Littleton, CO.